Thursday, July 09, 2009
Kanye West rocks Jam at the Pavilion with Kid Cudi at the N.A.S.A. gig
Kanye West suprised loads of Cork music fans by turning up last night to my Jam night in the Pavilion in Cork and performing alongside fellow rapper Kid Cudi at an intimate gig by hot U.S. supergroup N.A.S.A.! Earlier Kanye had rocked Live at the Marquee in Cork for the 3rd time but the 300 strong crowd at the much smaller Pavilion couldn't believe it when he took to the stage just after 1a.m. and rapped on his own "Gifted" track from N.A.S.A.'s "Spirit of the Apollo" album, which features guests such as Kanye, Tom Waits, M.I.A, George Clinton and more.
I was tipped off only shortly before-hand, and made sure that Kanye's visit was kept slightly under wraps. He was basically unwinding after his show and our staff made sure he was left to mind his own business. He is friends with Sam Spiegel of N.A.S.A. and he wanted to hang out and see the show. Most of the people in the club didn't know he was there till he jumped on stage! I warmed up for Kanye on his previous two visits to Cork but this was his first time meeting him properly. Kanye was well cool, very laid-back and down-to-earth, a million miles from the public persona to be honest. I was pretty happy that he came down to our club but when he got up and performed I nearly hit the roof! Kid Cudi joined in too and they sane his "Day N Night" number and it rounded off a terrific night for everyone who was there. Kanye's performance at the Marquee was a much more mature and rounded one this time, and everyone at the Pavilion could see the passion that the guy has for his music. Respect!
My Blog List
- ► 2010 (93)
- Give me the night with Gloria Gaynor (dedicated to...
- One for the late night crew! Poor Righteous Teache...
- Give me the night with T Connection
- Tune of the day-Nitro Deluxe
- Tune of the day! Jay Z
- Give me the night with Guy
- Tune of the day! Hypnotic Brass Ensemble
- Do not disturb!
- Kanye West rocks Jam at the Pavilion with Kid Cudi...
- Give me the night-2 Pac
- One for the late night crew! Common, Lauryn Hill a...
- Michael Jackson-the final word
- One for the late night crew! Nina Simone
- The Impressionists on Black on Red!
- 50 years of Motown no. 11 and tune of the day! The...
- 50 years of Motown no. 12 Marvin Gaye and Kim West...
- 50 years of Motown no. 13 and one for the late nig...
- 50 years of Motown numbers 21 up to 14!
- Death of Auto-tune = Rebirth of hip-hop?
- 50 years of Motown no. 22 and one for the late nig...
- 50 years of Motown numbers 27, 26, 25, 24 and 23!
- 50 years of Motown no. 28-The Isley Brothers "This...
- ▼ July (22)
- ► 2008 (36)
- ► 2007 (27)
- I'm a DJ from Cork in Ireland. I work with RedFM, presenting Red Drive, The Hitlist and my specialist show, Black on Red. I'm probably best known for being one of the main hip-hop/soul DJ's in Cork and Ireland. I've been DJing in Cork since the early 90's in legendary clubnights such as Sweat in Sir Henrys, Mor Disco, Free La Funk, Yo Latino and also Jam and Jam Junior at the Savoy and the Pavilion. I've also held down long term residencies at clubs around Ireland such as Brown Sugar at the Kitchen in Dublin, U-Turn at Ri Ra in Dublin, Jazz Juice at the GPO in Galway, Thompson Garage in Belfast, the Soul Clinic, Dee-Bop, Meltdown and Mo Bounce in Limerick and i've played abroad in the United States and the U.K. on numerous occasions. I also write a music column for the Evening Echo and i'm a regular contributor to the U.K.'s Blues and Soul, the longest running black music magazine in the world. These days i run the Pavilion, a music venue in Cork, which hosts my Jam night every few Fridays http://www.pavilioncork.com also you can catch me at http://djstevieg.podomatic.com